Tuesday, February 28, 2006

clean, crisp, wonderful

The satin jazzmen have put away their horns and we're standing outside of this wonderland looking so bereaved and so bereft. Like a bowery burn when he finally understands the bottle's empty and there's nothing left. Security were laid back and lax. It was only my heart that got broken you must have had a pass key made out of wax you played robbery with innocence and I played the blues in twelve bars down Lover's Lane.

now the sun rose in the courtyard and they all did hear him say,

"you always was a Judas but I got you anyway."


a lovestruck Romeo sings a serenade
laying everybody low, he's got a love song
he'll find the convenient street light
he steps out of the shade and says something,

"You and me babe, how about it?"

Juliet says,

"Hey, it's Romeo."


but no, now you say you promised me everything
promised me thick and thin, you just turn away now.

Romeo?

"I think I used to have a scene with him."


when are you going to realize that it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet.

so I'm going down this street and I'm trying not to smile. Because the street where I'm going, and the curb is at the side by the sewer where the rain goes down.

like this girl I once knew.

I got a real indication of a laugh coming on. That old wind is howling like a cold steel train, girl has left me, not coming back again. Got rusted bullet holes in the Dodge, and heartburn like solar flares, and a horsefly buzzes.

by the big mistake in the distance. I see myself smiling.
until he came chanting down the street
like a cannibal in Manhattan

"This place is dead as a heaven on a Saturday night."


in a noisy bar in Babylon I tried to call you
but on a midnight watch I realized twice that you had run away
I was on the road to Austin
met a man on the highway
he sold me junk and conversation
he was wise and dirty

I said, "darkness into darkness all the carnage of my journeys makes it harder to be living."

she said, "its a long road to be forgiven."

1 Comments:

Blogger Serious Sam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home